This was a special request from my wife... All she asked for was peas for dinner. She didn't have a reason, she just wanted peas.
I was just going to make some very plain peas when I happened to have a bit of Bechamel Sauce left over from making the Fennel Gratin recipe that was in my last post. I added a bit of sauteed onions and I was hooked on this!
So, I made her peas... And I have a happy wife/life!!!
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...
Peas in a Bechamel Sauce
or Happy Wife Happy Life Peas
- 1 TBS Flour
- 1 TBS Butter
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 1 big Pinch Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 TBS Butter
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion, rough Chopped
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas, thawed
- First, make a Bechamel Sauce of a roux and cooked milk... In a heavy bottomed saute pan, over medium high heat, melt the butter, add the flour and whisk for bit until heated and completely combined.
- Add the Half and Half and Cheese and whisk until combined.
- Add the salt and pepper and continue to whisk. If you need to thin the sauce, add white wine or water,
- Set aside while you saute the onions. In a separate saute pan, add 1 TBS of Olive Oil and heat over medium high heat until just before it starts to smoke.
- Add the Onions and saute for about 5 minutes until they turn translucent.
- Add the peas and saute for 1 more minute
- Add the Bechamel sauce and mix everything together.
- Serve HOT and ENJOY!