Sunday, January 8, 2012

Onion Rings With a Secret Ingredient

Pin It Now!


No Need to keep you in suspense, Instant Mashed Potatoes... REALLY!

I was a little surprised when I first read about using them when you are after a crispy crunch on any fried food.  But it works!  Now, there is more to the recipe than just the instant taters... Panko bread crumbs, even some Cayenne Pepper.  But it really is the instant taters that crisp up so nice in these.

I am happily adding these to my "Top Five" Bar Snacks list.  These go great with any bar food (Like the burger in the photo).  Not really a side dish, certainly not really an appetizer.  They belong in the bar snack category.




So, here's what I did...

Ingredients:

1 cup Flour, divided
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 cup Buttermilk
2 TBS Instant Mashed Potatoes
1 tsp "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence"
2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
3 Medium Onions separated into rings
Canola Oil to fry, enough to cover 2 inches
  • In a shallow bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup Flour, Cornstarch, Instant Mashed Potatoes and Herbs
  • Whisk in Buttermilk and allow to sit while you cut the Onions.  The mixture will thicken
  • Pour Panko crumbs into second shallow dish and flour for dredging into a third
  • Fill heavy bottomed pan with 2 inches of Canola oil
  • Dip onion ring into the flour, then in the batter and coat well, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Drop onion rings immediately into hot oil. Brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on wire rack over sheet pan
  • Serve and enjoy!!!





Printable recipe...

For the time being...

Click the image to the left for a printable copy of this recipe. When the large image appears, right click the image and select "Copy Image". Then open a word document file, click paste and print. Prints on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper.

Soon, it will become a PDF file that you simply have to click at print.

3 comments:

  1. The onion rings looked like Calamari. I would adore it's smell but definitely not it's taste.

    Buy Aion Account

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love onion rings but have yet to make any at home with a coating I really like, but these have the right look and I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twisted! But I like it, what a great idea. I might try to make these tomorrow when I break out the fryer to make chicharones.

    ReplyDelete

FMP