Sunday, August 28, 2011

Grilled Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes ala Smoked 'n Grilled

Pin It Now!

Click Photo for link to Kale Chips
Ya' all remember yesterday's post for GRILLED KALE CHIPS?

If you look closely under those chips, you can see a steak pinwheel (with tomato pesto, blue cheese and spinach... but that's a tease for tomorrow's post), you also see the beautiful orange sweet potato with just a hint of that grill char that adds so much (along with a crispy exterior and a sweet creamy soft interior)!

Now, there is nothing simpler than grilling sweet potatoes.  just a few simple tips and anyone is a pro.  But I saw this recipe on eRecipeCards.com a few weeks ago and I knew I was going to give this unique twist a try.

This recipe was submitted by Curt of the Smoked 'n Grilled blog!  Curt is a transplanted Texan, transplanted to Wisconsin.  he has melded the worlds of low and slow BBQ (smoking) with the Beer and Brats world of BBQ in the land that embraces Cheeseheads.  Taking a quick look through his site, you will find far more than just tossing brats and burgers on a grill.  Like his side dishes of Smoked Ham, potatoes and Sassafras, or if you get tired of serving smoked beans, give Curt's Smoked Three Bean Salad a try!  HE MAKES HIS OWN RUBS and Marinades!  A smoker after my own heart.  Here in Kansas City, we are getting ready for the American Royal (arguably the largest and most prestigious of all BBQ contests (You folks in Memphis, I said arguably).  In back yards all across my neck of the woods, smoking hobbyists are testing out our own concoctions.  I have three spice blends that I am very proud of, but Curt seems to have dozens of recipes posted (like a peppered coffee rub that would really WAKE up your pork chops ;-).

Not sure what size family he cooks for, but he does have a "wife who treats me pretty good".  Well I would say so, he got a Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker as a gift from her!  Ladies, that is the gift that keeps on giving!

Summer time grilling is a myth.  No one really likes standing out in 90-100 degree heat (with extra humidity to really make it uncomfortable).  Prime grilling and smoking season is starting now!  Cool temperatures and beautiful fall weather makes this a perfect time to stop by Curt's site.  You will find plenty of innovative ideas, easy to replicate recipes and a crisp opinionated writing style.

Click the logo to magically be taken to Curt's Site!!!

Click the Bottle
To be taken to
O Olive Oil
Website
What caught my eye was Curt's recipe for Grilled Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes.

As most grilling recipes are, there are a minimum number of ingredients.  But that makes the flavors really pop.  Easily identified means they better blend well.  Like sweet potatoes flavored with cinnamon.  Not sure why, but the dozens of times I have grilled sweet potatoes, it never dawned on me to add cinnamon.

But with few ingredients, there were few opportunities for me to change the recipe.  I made a few though.

First, one of the tricks to grilling sweet potatoes is to do thick cuts (about 1/2 inch).  Easier to handle, gets that crispy outside, tender inside contrast of textures.  I added to this idea by doing long crosswise cuts.

But the biggest change to the taste was to use a flavored oil.  My NEW obsession is with a bottle of pressed Blood Orange O Olive Oil.  The O Olive Oil Company actually presses whole oranges the same time they press the olives, making a deeper richer taste than just infused or flavored oils.  I found this brand at Whole Foods and am trying it on everything I can think of.  It;s wonderful (and in full disclosure, paid myself, no promises were exchanged... I just like it).

One other tip is to par boil the slices for about 5 minutes.  This will get the cooking process started.  So the grill is more heating and crisping the outside than it is actually cooking.

OK.. Here's what I did (BTW, this was just for Jackie and me.  So if you are cooking for a family, you will need to increase the amounts...

And to read Curt's far more detailed how-tos and tips, visit his original post...
 Grilled Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes

1 LARGE Sweet Potato, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 TBS Blood Orange O Olive Oil
Kosher Salt to taste
Cinnamon to taste

Par boil the slices for 5 minutes.
remove from pan, pat dry
rub oil on the slices
season with salt and cinnamon on one side
grill seasoned side up for only a few minutes over direct heat watch for charring.  You want a little, but not too much.
flip, season the other side and finish grilling!


And serve with Grilled Kale Chips and Pinwheel bacon Wrapped Steak!

Grillers, get out of your rut... Brats, burgers and chips are fine (once a season).  But listen to the ohhhs and ahhhs when you serve something innovative from your grill.  be a cook and look over "Smoked n' Grilled" for lots of ideas to make you master of the back yard!

So, if I have tweeked your interest in Curt and the Smoked n'Grilled Blog/website , head on over and say HI for me!
And for a quick look at what he blogs, click on the logo link image to the right.  You will see all the eRecipeCards that Curt  has submitted to eRecipeCards.com.  You can add her recipes to your eRecipeBox (once you have a free account).


See how useful the site is and how easy it is to find new favorite bloggers!



These posts continue to highlight bloggers and recipes that I have found on "eRecipeCards.com"..

7 comments:

  1. love to grill sweet potato planks and I like Curt's Texan style of cooking... Thanks for sharing the recipe and good luck....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not tried grilling sweet potatoes! And I just happen to have some in the pantry and a full bottle of propane. Now if I could muster up the courage to go out in 111 degrees to grill! I really want to try these!

    I'm inspired!

    Rainey @ The Project Table

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great grilling recipes, but your sure know how to grill across the pond and this recipe is brilliant ~ what a great way to serve sweet potatoes.......thanks for another recommendation to another blog!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am huge fan of sweet potatoes and I love this recipe :) YUM! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ma jsut wondering what is this blue colour?Btw I love kumara too;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything with sweet potatoes, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks for the great article on my site, Smoked 'n Grilled. I appreciate all the nice things you said about my wife and I, and all our recipes.

    ReplyDelete

FMP